Saturday, December 6, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving! (Belated)

I was reminded on Thanksgiving day, that no matter what else is going on, I have a lot to be thankful for. And still I struggled with that for a few days. Then last week, I went to the Emergency Room with adbominal pain. It turned out that my appendix was inflamed and surgery was required.

Now as I sit here convalescing over that, I was reminded that more than anything, I am thankful for my family.

I am thankful for my daughter, who came to my aid with a general willingness to help.
I am thankful for my father, who gave up sleep and eventually his own bed where I slept the first two nights away from the hospital.
I am thankful for my brother, who is a nurse, and who was on call when all this happened. He made sure I was taken care of, as he would with any of his patients, but when you know your bro is there looking out for you, it makes a difference.
I am thankful for my sister, who came to sit with me during the long and sleepy day after surgery. She kept my daugher company, and her presence was a constant reminder that I am never alone in this world so long as I have my family.
I am thankful generally for all of my family, whose well wishes came to me via the telephone and by word of mouth through those who were visiting me.
I am thankful for my coaching partner, Steve Kephart, who stepped up and helped cover my obligations when I could not be there.
I am thankful for my other friends, parents, and players who continue to send me Email get well cards as they learn about what happened.

Here are the other thanks I gave on Turkey Day...
  • I am thankful that my daughters condition is apparently in remission.
  • I am thankful that the first vasculitis episode attacked her foot, and not her heart.
  • I am thankful that we are learning more every day about how to cope with this, and how to improve how she manages the side effects of the wonderful and horrible Prednisone.
  • I am thankful for my family, whose continued offers of assistance bring me strength. Even when I am too proud to accept, knowing that I am not alone helps me.
  • I am thankful that there are more treatment options than before, so we can move forward.

No comments: