Thursday, September 9, 2010

I need your stories, so I can make money for vasculitis research

If you follow the news for the Central NM Chapter of the Vasculitis Foundation, then you may recall I mentioned back in August that we have a unique fundraising opportunity coming up.

http://nmvasculitis.blogspot.com/2010/08/haley-is-feeling-better-meeting-tonight.html
"AWARENESS AND FUNDRAISING EVENT COMING UP NEXT MONTH
=====================================================
In other news, on September 21st, our chapter will be represented at the kickoff picnic for a federal fundraising effort. The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) was started in 1961 by President John F. Kennedy and is the only authorized solicitation of employees in the federal workplace for charitable organizations."

With very little commitment and time, I, and one or two of you who may volunteer to go with me, will attend the Kick Off for the 2010 Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). This will give us the chance to personally represent the face of vasculitis to hundreds, or potentially thousands of federal employees who come to the kick off to decide how they are going to allocate their charitable donations. It is a sure winner, but only if we convince them that vasculitis is a cause worthy of their support.


You can help me help you by sharing your words with me. Simply write me a letter detailing your personal vasculitis story. The same story you must have told a thousand times. Tell me how you first knew you were sick, how you were diagnosed, and include some highlights, both good and bad, about that experience. 


If you feel really generous, speak to the donors in your own voice and tell them why you think they should support research into vasculitis. If you optionally choose to share a photo, then I can add that to our display to show them there are real people affected by these terrible conditions.


If you know a friend or family member who has vasculitis, you can tell your version of their story. That will be good to show how vasculitis changes more lives than people realize.


I will read your stories, and without giving away your identity at all, I can use your stories to make sure we have plenty to say about vasculitis patients in New Mexico.


Even a few paragraphs will be very helpful. Do not hesitate, share your story today!


Some of you have told me your stories at a chapter meeting, but I need it in writing so I can get in my head good. That way the stories will be ready when I am standing there asking people to support vasculitis research. I want them to contribute, so that you can someday enjoy improved treatments, and hopefully also a cure.


Please send your stories to Joseph Carpenter by Email, Fax or Postal Mail. By jet plane or slow moving mule train.  I will be doing more of these events, so if you don't get to it now, please get to it eventually. I will speak as the voice for those of you who cannot speak for themselves.


--
Joseph Carpenter
Parent, daughter with CSS (DX March '08)
New Mexico Chapter Leader

Email, Fax, Phone and Postal mail: http://www.nmvasculitis.org/Home/about-cnmvf/contact
Central NM Vasculitis Foundation Chapter - http://www.nmvasculitis.org
Vasculitis Foundation - http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org

No comments: